Wednesday 31 December 2008

The year is out...

I write this post as there is exactly an hour left of the year 2008. Its been an eventful year as years go, and I shan't try to summarise it into one post. However, there were certain parts of the year which particularly stand out for me - and I shall reflect upon those.

The year began well in terms of academic life for I was on track for that 2.i that I needed, and I was actually beginning to enjoy the course at its fag end (something which couldn't be said for 2007, unfortunately). All too soon, Easter was upon us with the early dates this year, and it was dangerously close to exams. The study overdrive was in full swing - with all us final years knowing that our life depended on these three hour torture sessions. The exams went as well as they could have gone given the amount of studying that we'd done, and out came the results in June which left us all pleasantly surprised. July arrived, and we graduated in baking heat, looking like medieval monks. The spring also saw the departure of General Musharraf, which meant that my last visit in 1999 was months before the General took over, and my subsequent visit was months after he left!

September was the month of the year for me - I jetted off to Pakistan for research and meeting the family. It was the most enjoyable holiday I've had for years - despite the heat for that time of the year. It was Ramadan, which meant that the people and streets had a different feeling going on, there were more displays of public morality and spirtuality than usual, but amidst all that, I still managed to see the family, get significant amount of ground work done, enjoy myself and lay my hand on some very handy books for dirt cheap. I also visited Lahore for the very first time in my life, and it was absolutely stunning. If you want to see beauty in Pakistan, go to the Punjab (and to NWFP, I'm reliably told).

The year gradually drew to close with the inevitable essay deadlines and pressure that goes with doing a masters (as well as having the stress of the PhD application in the mix), but it was alright enough in the end. As I speak though, Israel and Hamas are up to it again. Hamas firing in the rockets, Israel responding disproportionately with no care for civilian casualities. We can only pray that the leadership of both countries sees sense and puts an end to this senseless violence which will only lead to destruction, hatred and instability throughout the region.

And with that, here's to hoping that 2009 will be better than 2008, and that I get my PhD offer as well as getting a decent Masters result. Resolutions are made to be broken, but I resolve to study a teeny bit harder, and spend less time on the internet.

No comments: